Thursday, June 9, 2011

Stitchin' Time

Took a few minutes to play in my room.
These quilts that I'm making began to consume
My thoughts daily and nightly.  I just had to sew
The ideas that you can see pictured below!

  Well, all day yesterday as I sat at my office desk at the shop dealing with paperwork, I constantly thought about the Storm At Sea quilt I began on Tuesday. It was sew much fun to play with the shapes and the placement of the different fabrics to see what was developing!  My treat to myself, as I crossed all the jobs off my 'to-do' list, was to finish that quilt sew I can write the pattern.  As I was organizing things in my office I came across a demo-storyboard for another Creative Grids ruler that I've never made anything with.  It intrigued me, and it needs a pattern.....sew here I go. One quilt down now, and one on the cutting table.
  Here's a picture of that beautiful Storm At Sea:
 The quilt as shown measures 40"x 52" which is great for a lap quilt to throw on the couch.  Here's a picture of the ruler I used:

  Sew stay-tuned to learn when the pattern will be ready. I figure I can add a few other sizes to the pattern, too. It was fun and relatively fast to make. I worked on the quilt for about 2 days.
  Remember the other ruler that grabbed my attention:
  This strange looking, curvy thing gave me the heebie-jeebies.  However then I saw this:

and it intrigued me enough that the heebie-jeebies faded away.  Sew now my assistant and I will retire back into my sewing studio where more quilts will be created.
  Actually, very little work gets accomplished when my assistant is present, but she's sew darn cute it's hard to make her go away!
  I made a super-yummy din last night and The Count wants me to remember it sew I can recreate it often. Since I never measure, and just look in the 'fridge, the pantry, and the herb garden as I begin to prepare dinner, I thought if I tell you what I did last night I may be able to go back into this blog and find the recipe idea again when tuna sounds good for dinner next time!
  Here goes....
Herbed Grilled Tuna Steaks
2-4 medium size, wild-caught tuna steaks about 1" thick
1/2 cup olive oil
1-2 T ginger paste (found in the produce department and way easier to use than fresh ginger! Looks like it's in a fat toothpaste tube)
scant 1/4 cup chopped fresh dillweed
scant 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
2-3 T chopped thyme
juice/zest of 1 lemon
  Squish all ingredients except tuna together in 1 gal zip-lock baggie. Place tuna steaks in bag and work the marinade all around. Allow to marinate at room temp for about 30 minutes.
 Meanwhile gather: 1/2 large red onion
                               1/2 large orange or yellow bell pepper
                               8 oz fresh mushrooms
                               2 stalks celery
    Chunk all these veggies up into fairly uniform sizes.  On stovetop heat grill pan over high heat. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over pan and remove tuna steaks from marinade using tongs and place on grill pan.  Allow these to sit in one place long enough to get good grill marks. As soon as you put the tuna on the grill pan, toss the veggies into the baggie of marinade and work all around sew veggies are covered. Pour these on the same grill pan at the other end. Carefully turn the tuna steaks and frequently  turn the veggies using the tongs. Remove tuna to plate when they have reached the desired doneness for your taste.  Continue to cook veggies until they begin to look roasted and golden. Pour over the tuna steaks before serving. Yumm!!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to try the Storm at Sea ruler - after seeing all the other rulers and how they work I know I'll be able to make sense of the SatS ruler quickly. This is one of my Bucket List patterns!

    ReplyDelete